Submissions to Laurel may include anything from poetry, flash fiction, creative essays, short stories, single photographs, photo essays, paintings or sketches.
Along with your submission please include a 50 word biography written in the third person and the best photo of yourself (this is voluntary). There are no style requirements in terms of text, so feel free to use your favorite font. Assure that any visual file upload is a high-resolution image (300 dpi or greater).
- There is no fee for submissions.
- Copyright will rest with the author.
- We accept only your original work that has not been previously published (for example; in magazines, newspapers, brochures, books, online on websites or blogs).
- Please don't include any identifying information in your submission.
- If you submit to more than one genre (that is, poetry, flash fiction, short story, photography, art, etc) please separate these pieces in different word docs/PDFs.
- Poets may submit up to 5 poems (no word limit).
- Prose writers may submit up to three pieces (6000 words per piece).
- Visual artists may submit any amount of artworks. Please do assure good quality images (preferably JPEG/PNG) and provide us with a short artist statement.
- We reserve the right to crop/otherwise modify art submissions to meet online specifications.
Expect to receive a response on your work within 2 weeks of submission.
All literary or visual artwork is a self-expression of the author and is not intended to represent the ideas or views of the Laurel Magazine staff or its advisers.
Though all artists and contributors may retain the rights to their work, Laurel Magazine reserves the right to publish all submissions. Laurel Magazine reserves the right to archive and include accepted works in social media and any related advertisements as long as the author of the piece is credited.